Monday, February 13, 2017

Meeting a Kindred Spirit

When you are a vegan, it can seem lonely and discouraging to have adopted a lifestyle that’s not mainstream, so when I strike up a conversation at a food stop and discover a soul mate, it’s warm and fuzzy time.

Such an encounter occurred at the Public Library in Fayetteville, Arkansas.  I’d stop to peruse their offerings - I was considering the latte with coconut milk or a full-fruit smoothie -when my queries about vegan food brought a young woman to my side who’d overheard my comments.
She was not purely vegan.  After a trial period of being vegan, she found the diet did not meet her health needs.  She eats free-range eggs and sea food occasionally, but has eliminated meat, pork, poultry and dairy from her diet.

Now in my book, that’s terrific.  I was further heartened because she’s young.  She’s the future.  It is my firmly held belief that her generation will tip the scale when it comes to agribusiness and factory farming.  Her food choices multiplied by millions of millennials will result in a seismic shift in our global practices with respect to food production.

Who would have thought I would have such a spiritual awakening over an apple with peanut butter? (That was what I chose for lunch there at the Asaga’s Café at the Fayetteville Library.  Very satisfying.)

On the opposite end of the age spectrum, I lunched recently with a woman who’s in her senior years.  She is a polite but firm advocate for animal rights.  She eats fish and has not eliminated all dairy from her diet, but she knows the issues and she’s heading in the right direction.
And here’s the point – most of us, myself included, are not going to become pure vegans overnight.  We might not ever be totally vegan; however, a move towards this lifestyle in degrees has a tremendous impact on our own health, the health of the planet, and the lives of farmed animals. 
We shall soldier on!

No comments:

Post a Comment